ABOUT THE ROLE
As our Head of Technical & Quality, you’ll be the key person when it comes to ensuring we deliver products that meet our high quality standards, comply with local and labelling legislation and all other things quality at Minor Figures. The one bringing the Technical strategy, from policies to guidance to our regional teams. Ensuring we are up to date with legislation and working with the right people, labs, suppliers certifications & organisations.
This is going to be a big but great role for you to make a significant impact on how we carry out the production of our products and packaging in a compliant, customer focused and creative manner at all times.
You’ll be responsible for providing technical support to the business to ensure all Minor Figures products are at the highest level of quality and be the instigator of driving this quality throughout the company by reviewing, implementing and continuously improving our QMS.
Also, you’ll be responsible for creating, coordinating and maintaining detailed product information for new and existing products.
WHAT YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
There’s zero shortage of responsibility in this role. And similar to the Peter Parker principle, one for Spiderman fans out there, ‘with great responsibility, comes great opportunity’. (Ok, not the direct quote, but you hopefully get our positive thinking…)
Anyway, let’s look at it some more. This role will be broken down into a few key areas:
- Manage cross departmental relationships to ensure delivery of technical requirements.
- Work closely with the product development team, providing technical support throughout the development process from concept to launch
- Build a strong and proactive relationships with customer technical teams and internal colleagues providing technical support when required
- Provide technical expertise to ensure the company's full compliance with all necessary food safety and legislative standards
- Complete and send all documents / reports required by customers (third-party certificates, allergens questionnaires, supplier questionnaires
- Continue to develop, implement, and improve the company Quality Management System
- Ensure Quality Management, Technical due diligence, and Crisis Management Procedures, including Product Recall procedures, are in place in all the businesses processes, and frequently assessed and tested
- Drive continuous improvement and help to promote Food Safety & Quality throughout the business
- Manage all customer complaints through trend analysis, carry out root cause analysis and corrective action to resolve any issues and communicate to all stakeholders
- Manage all quality and food safety issues undertaking the required root cause analysis investigation
- Manage all third-party audits (BRC, EHO, SALSA, Soil Association etc)
- Carry out all internal audits
- Manage the Supplier Approval Process and raw material risk assessments
- To create, review and approve finished product specifications and Pack copies in Minor Figures AND customer agreed format
- Check and review artwork and packaging against agreed Pack copy, to ensure they comply with all country specific legal requirements, using external agencies where required
- Ensure all required internal and external documentation comply with agreed product specification, ensuring traceability of any changes to recipe or process are communicated to all stakeholders
- Develop an effective communication process to track, notify and share all changes with relevant stakeholders within the business
- Work closely with NPD to provide all product and raw material info and support timely product launches
ABOUT YOUR TEAM
You’ll be reporting into our Head of Operations, and working closely with teams across the business, namely Production, Products, Operations, Sales & Marketing.
Joining a team full of passion, hard work and an undeniable love of good coffee, you’ll be in a good place for high energy, unwavering commitment and inspiration every day.
We hire humans, not machines, so let’s look at the key skills we need. You’ll:
- Be an ambassador of the Minor Figures brand
- Have a sense of fun, adventure, hands on person and a can-do approach.
- Not be phased by constant change and challenges and willing to adapt and implement solutions.
- Have a willingness to help in all areas of the business when needed.
- Have excellent communication skills and self motivation with an ability to grow the role with the business.
Now, let’s look at the experience we ideally need. You’ll:
- Be educated to degree level within a food science or food technology discipline
- Have experience in a technical management role in either retail, FMCG or Foodservice
- Come with proven experience of operating within a complex, commercially driven supply chains
- Possess strong communication skills developed from working with a demanding customer base
- Bring experience in managing Co-manufacturers, as well as in-house production teams
- Show experience in Specifications technology, dealing with a large retail account. Experience in writing both Raw Materials / Finished Product Specifications.
- Have a good understanding of nutrition (NIPs) & allergens
- Demonstrate solid Quality Assurance track record within food FMCG
- Have excellent working knowledge of Quality Management Systems i.e. BRC, ISO 9001, Salsa and internal auditing
- Display your internal audit experience
And if possible, but not necessary:
- You'll have some up to date knowledge and understanding of food and drink labelling in the UK, ideally with knowledge of other countries' legislation in particular the US and Australia
- Possess sxperience working with retailer technical portals & Specification Systems
- Have qualifications in Food Safety, HACCP and TACCP/VACCP are highly desirable
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
We realise that a job is more than just the take home salary each month. So what are you really getting?
As part of the MF team, not only will you have the opportunity to own your role and make it, you and us a success, you’ll also be becoming part of something very special. Minor Figures’ ethos is that everyone is welcome, as long as you leave all hang-ups, social barriers and prejudices at the door.
You’ll embark on a journey that doesn’t have a destination. It just keeps going. Your contribution will help us become the most loved brand on the planet & the number speciality coffee brand. With that, you’ll grow, develop and progress as we do and you’ll play your part in us having a planet to do this on.
But of course, we look after you in the other ways that you’d expect:
- 25 days holiday allowance
- 30% discount on products from our online shop
- Unlimited one to one coaching sessions with More Happi & a free subscription to Calm
- Pension contribution
- All the free coffee and cold brew you can drink!
- Vegan lunches are available.
Your main place of work will be at our office, at Minor Figures UK HQ - Unit 12a, Uplands Business Park, Blackhorse Lane, London, E17 5QJ
Hours of work will generally be 9.00am – 5:30pm but may vary with workload or by agreement. Flexibility may sometimes be required due to travel requirements.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
At Minor Figures everyone is welcome. We are committed to cultivating and maintaining a culture that is inclusive and diverse. We celebrate differences and continually support all members of our company to be proud of who they are. In recruiting for our team, we pride ourselves on equal employment opportunity regardless of gender, sex, age, disability, race, religion, sexuality or social class. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities and effectiveness, nothing else
You’re sold? The coffee is brewing, you’re ready to hit send and sit back and wait for a response?
In order to make that happen:
- Submit a CV and any supporting documents to us.
- Tell us why you want to work for Minor Figures.
Just a heads up, we’re not a traditional team of recruiters and hiring managers. We want to see the human version of you, not just the black & white copy. Our need to find great people needs to be met with a fun and positive recruitment journey, so tell us more about you, however the heck you want.
If you've got any questions about the role or what to chat about what life is really like at Minor Figures, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES:
We value the impact & work recruitment agencies have & do. We have people that have worked within & relied heavily on the support of agencies in their career. That said however, we’d really appreciate it if we didn’t receive any unsolicited or out of the blue applications.
We’re Minor Figures. Founded on a rooftop in 2014 by three friends with a shared love of coffee, MF has since grown into a global brand with a team of over 100 people across the world, with offices in the UK, USA, and Australia. We create plant-based products for coffee lovers, baristas and a better planet. We love teaming up with people as mad about coffee as we are and love nothing more than heading down to their local cafe to enjoy a chat with the friendly & expert barista.
All our products are 100% plant based and vegan friendly with no added sugar. The company is exploding, achieving record sales figures each quarter.
Minor Figures would be nothing without the independent coffee scene and our products can be found in over 4,000 specialty coffee shops worldwide, where we regularly run Freedays and Minor Figures FM events. We’re also expanding fast, with products lining the shelves in major supermarkets in our three core regions and our team achieving record sales figures quarter-on-quarter.
At Minor Figures, we’re passionate about creating a positive impact and we put sustainability at the forefront of everything we do. We’re a 100% carbon neutral and now a B Corp certified company.
We have big plans for the future of MF. As we continue to grow at a rapid pace, we’re want to welcome creative, curious, free-spirited, bold thinkers to join us to make that happen. Everyone’s invited. We collaborate, improvise, synchronise. We are wholly authentic, uplifting and constructive. Because magic happens when everyone’s vibing and having a good time. We value individuality and we want you to be yourself. If you share our love for coffee and you want every day you spend at work to feel like your first, we’d love to hear from you.